”Transformational leadership” is one of the cultural capabilities important for DevOps. It is about inspiring and motivating employees, facilitating organizational change. The Accelerate book mentions five factors:
- Vision: A clear understanding of where the organization should be in five years.
- Intellectual stimulation: Challenge employees to think in new ways.
- Inspirational communication: Communication that motivates, also in tough times.
- Supportive leadership: A leader who cares about employees’ needs and feelings.
- Personal recognition: Let people know when they have done something good.
If our organization has a good transformational leadership, this will help us being good at the following things as well:
- Lean product development, especially the following things:
- Work in small batches
- Make flow of work visible
- Gather and implement customer feedback
- DevOps practices, especially the following things: