DevOps is a software development approach where development and operations are working together to deliver software to end users in a fast and reliable way.
There are 5 key pillars of success in DevOps:
- Reduce organizational silos
- Accept failure as normal
- Implement gradual changes
- Leverage tooling and automation
- Measure everything
A CI/CD pipeline is used to automate the build process, all the way from code commit to software delivery, and maybe even to deployment on the production server.
In addition to a faster delivery of software with higher quality (as compared to a more traditional and less automated software development approach), DevOps also gives us:
- Shorter time to resolution for defects, because we have:
- Faster feedback
- Less ticket writing
- Fewer handovers
- A better work-load balance
- A new software versions can be installed during normal work hours, instead of outside normal work hours.
- The automated build chain gives us more time for more important things, like exploring future opportunities.